The UCLA Voting Rights Project is seeking to hire a staff attorney with litigation experience for the 2022 redistricting cycle and beyond. The UCLA Voting Rights Project is a leading national voting rights organization housed within the UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative (LPPI) and works to ensure an accessible and equitable system of voting through impact litigation, research, and clinical education to expand access to the ballot box. The project has litigated cases before the 5th Circuit on the right to vote during the COVID-19 pandemic, acted as expert witnesses in multiple voting rights cases in Texas, Pennsylvania, and Missouri, and is litigating vote dilution cases all over the United States.
This position is designed for someone with over 2 years of legal experience and/or clerking experience and is considering a career in civil rights litigation and advocacy. Reporting to the Legal Director, the staff attorney will play a critical role in the Voting Rights Project, developing and litigating high-impact cases, managing an ongoing docket of cases and matters, and investigating potential voting rights violations.
What you’ll do:
- Develop impact litigation and help the Director of Litigation shape a legal docket that advances the organization’s goals and responds to emerging threats to the ballot box
- Conduct legal research, investigate new voting rights cases, act as a lead or co-lead on VRP litigation, writing legal briefs and memorandum.
- Participate in trial practice in both federal and state courts.
- Draft and/or coordinate amicus briefs in cases of constitutional significance, both in federal and state courts.
- Prepare and present testimony before legislative bodies and administrative agencies.
- Juris doctor from an accredited law school and admission to state bar or District of Columbia bar.
- Exceptional legal research, writing, analytical, and oral communication skills.
- At least 2 years of trial and/or appellate litigation experience in federal or state courts or 1-2 years of clerkship experience.
How to Apply: