The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office is an innovative, nationally-recognized municipal law office working to protect and advance the rights and interests of San Francisco residents. With over 180 talented, dedicated, and diverse attorneys and strong, committed support staff, the Office provides the highest quality legal services to the City’s Mayor, Board of Supervisors, officials, and departments.
The City Attorney’s Office is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a positive, respectful, diverse, and inclusive work environment. The Office welcomes and encourages qualified applicants of all backgrounds.
Position: The Office’s Government Litigation Team seeks a qualified and highly-motivated California-licensed attorney for a full-time position as a Deputy City Attorney (“DCA”).
About the Government Litigation Team: The Government Litigation Team is a collaborative and dynamic group of attorneys, paralegals, and legal secretaries. The Team handles litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts, principally on the defense side. The Team’s docket is broad, and generally focuses on defending the legality of City ordinances, regulations, and programs and of quasi-judicial decisions made by City administrative agencies challenged through administrative mandamus. The Team is experienced in litigating issues of federal and state preemption and all manner of federal and state Constitutional claims, focusing particularly on issues of free speech, free exercise and/or establishment of religion, equal protection, and due process. The Team also litigates issues arising under California constitutional or statutory provisions limiting the enactment of local taxes and fees, as well as under state and local open meeting and public records laws. Most of the Team’s cases involve principally legal rather than factual issues.
Responsibilities: Attorneys on the Team typically handle their own cases, although a minority of cases require Team members to work collaboratively with other attorneys on the Team or across the Office.
DCAs handle all aspects of their cases, including litigation strategy, discovery and document review, motion practice, settlement evaluation and negotiation, trial and appeal. Many of the Team’s cases involve motions for preliminary injunction or other interim relief.
- Ability to research, understand and effectively communicate complex issues of constitutional law
- Ability to assume responsibility quickly, work both collaboratively and independently, and think deeply and thoroughly about novel substantive and procedural legal issues
- Work effectively and efficiently within often ambitious internal deadlines, being able to adjust to last minute assignments and workload increases with agility
- Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills
- Ability to vigorously defend complex defensive matters in both state and federal courts
- Work effectively with paralegals and support staff
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment, multi-task, and be curious
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Interest and ability to work successfully as part of a team with other attorneys and with clients, including elected officials
- Five or more years of civil litigation experience, including trial experience
Other information: Attorneys are represented by the Municipal Attorneys Association. Information about compensation and benefits can be found here: 8177 Attorney - Classification & Compensation
Application: If you are interested, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify that you are applying for the Government Litigation Team position. Your cover letter should indicate, in detail, the breadth and depth of your litigation experience. Applicants who advance in the selection process must submit a writing sample and three references.