Deadline to apply is September 20, 2019.
SALARY: $12,821 - $15,585 / Month
The County of Santa Cruz is seeking an experienced land use attorney!
• Competitive candidates will have demonstrated expertise handling legal issues related to California Planning and Zoning law, CEQA, the Subdivision Map Act, and the Coastal Act.
• Experience working with local land use ordinances and programs (e.g., affordable housing restrictions, vacation rentals, etc.) is also beneficial.
• This attorney will represent the Planning Department, the Planning Commission, Santa Cruz County LAFCO, and other clients principally associated with land use.
• The majority of work is oriented towards advice and counsel, but the attorney will occasionally be called upon to defend the County in litigation on land use decisions.
• Previous experience representing boards or commissions in public meetings, and familiarity and comfort with the Brown Act, is desired. • Strong oral and written communication skills are important for this position.
• * Please note: the official title of the position is Attorney IV – County Counsel.
THE REQUIREMENTS: Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain these would be:
Three years of experience* as an attorney practicing civil law for a public agency or four years of experience* as an attorney practicing general civil law.
*Qualifying experience must be gained after admission to a State Bar.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Membership in the California State Bar.
Paid holidays, excellent benefits and CalPERS retirement!
The County of Santa Cruz offers a generous benefits package which includes annual leave, paid
holidays, medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits!
Live and work in beautiful Santa Cruz County!
Apply online at www.santacruzcountyjobs.com